250 g unbleached all-purpose flour (8 ¾ ounces / 1 ¾ cups)
½ teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ¾ sticks)
100 g granulated sugar (3 ½ ounces / ½ cup)
150 packed dark brown sugar (5 ¼ ounces / ¾ cups) (see note)
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
213 g semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
1. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
2. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use a cookie scoop; any size #24 / 3 TBsp / 50 mm scoop should work). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
5. Allow cookies to rest up to three days in the fridge to improve texture and flavor
6. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 375°. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.
7. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
↜ Back to recipe list